Xingjiao Temple (Temple Of Flourishing Teaching)
2013/09/06

The Xingjiao Temple (兴教寺) was built in the year 669 by a Tang Dynasty ruler named Emperor Gaozong (Li Zhi, 628-683) in honor of a monk named Xuanzang (602-664) who had traveled to India and brought back a lot of Buddhist literature that he then translated. “Xingjiao” means flourishing teaching, and another Tang Emperor put these words on a post long afterwards. A temple that stood there before was destroyed during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912) era. The main things to see at the temple site now are a brick Tang-era pagoda that houses ashes of Xuanzang, two other smaller pagobas, and a temple that was built in the 20th century.兴教寺

Temple Layout and Construction

A five-storey pagoda was built in the Tang Dynasty era to house the ashes of Xuanzang. The pagoda is grey, and is the most notable ancient architecture at the site. There are also two three-story dagobas for two other monks with it in a courtyard. There is also later construction.

There are statues from the Ming Dynasty era. There is also a bell tower, a drum tower, a library, a Great Hall of the Buddha, and a building for teaching. These buildings were built in the 20th century.

Travel: The Xingjiao Temple is in the Weiqu District of Xian that is about 16 kilometers south of the Xian Train Station in the center of Xian. To get there by bus, you can take Bus No. 215 or 229. Get off at the Weiqu Bei station or the Weiqu Nan station, and take Bus No. 917 to the temple.

Fee: 10 RMB or about 1.50 USD. China Highlights can help you to this and other places.

source:http://www.cultural-china.com/
  One-Stop Service
  English Speaking
  Professional
  International Service Standard
 
  Ningbo Brief
  Restaurants
  Bars
  Daily Life
  Entertainment
  Travel
HOME CENTER | ABOUT US | TOPIC | GALLERY | CAREER | LINKS
Copyright ©  2010-2020 Sunrise Relocation Service Company Ltd. All Rights Reserved.